Morris County Courthouse
County Seat: Daingerfield
County Population: 13,002
The historic Morris County Courthouse was built in 1882 with Classical elements as designed by Peterson & Stuckey. The current county capitol was erected in 1973 in a Modern style, following the design of Pierce, Pace & Associates.
Morris County was named for William Wright Morris, an early legislator and judge; the county seat of Daingerfield refers to London Daingerfield, an Indian fighter and troop captain.
Before representing Morris County, Daingerfield was named the seat of Paschal County, established for judicial and other purposes on Jan. 28, 1841. This short-lived county included all of the future Hopkins, Franklin, Titus, Morris and Cass counties and most of the future Marion County. Paschal County was abolished by a Texas Supreme Court decision, Stockton v. Montgomery (1842), which declared judicial counties unconstitutional.
Daingerfield is the fourth-oldest town in Texas and home to Daingerfield State Park, a 551-acre recreational area which includes an 80-surface-acre lake. The park landscape is known for its blooming dogwoods in spring along with its calm beauty. The lake is circled by a 2.5-mile hiking trail and offers picnicking, camping, boating, fishing, swimming and nature study.
The county seat plays host to Daingerfield Days Fall Fest every October with a wide spectrum of activities including a chili cook-off, carnival, parade and a 5-K run.
Visitors and homefolks, alike, enjoy Lake O the Pines, which extends into the southern end of the county and offers largemouth bass, spotted bass, channel and flathead catfish, white bass and chain pickerel, to name just a few!
The areas rich history is detailed in several historical markers displayed throughout Morris County:
- Caddo Trace: Daingerfield 1967 Hunting and trade route for area between Arkansas and Red rivers used by Caddo Indians who occupied the northeast corner of Texas and adjacent states.
- Site of Chapel Hill College: Daingerfield 1966 Chartered 1850. Opened 1852 in a building on land donated by Allen Urquhart, Republic of Texas surveyor, and founded by Marshall Presbytery of Cumberland Presbyterian Church to educate ministers. The college also offered courses in medicine, law and liberal arts.
- Concord Meeting House: Omaha 1966 Built about 1860 to replace log church and used for school and voting.
- W. T. and T. C. Connor Buildings: Daingerfield 1976 W. T. Connor opened a mercantile business in 1866 in Daingerfield. In the 1880s, he and his contractor son, T. C. Connor, erected adjacent storehouses on this site, with his son doing the construction. The McKellar Company bought the property in 1974, combining the structures, which are rare examples of Victorian business buildings still in use.
- County Line Baptist Church and Cemetery: Daingerfield 2000 County Line Baptist Church records date back to 1859, but the church is believed to have been in existence some years earlier. The cemetery probably was already in use prior to 1863, when the earliest marked headstone was placed on this site for 3-year-old John C. Leftwich.
(Texas Almanac 2008-2009)